Monday, September 29, 2014

Card Types



Having gone through how I make cards, I wanted to show you the kinds of cards I have available. Often as I create them, my writing instincts kick in and I think of little stories to go with them. I hope you don't mind if I share the stories with you.

You can take home a one-of-a-kind card with a $10 donation on Pubslush, starting October 1st. You will also get a bookmark and a signed thank you. All proceeds will go toward the publication of my first novel, THE CHANGELINGS. For more information about my campaign, go here.

Splashing Dolphin

A lighthouse stands on a rock in the middle of the ocean, while dolphins splash joyfully around it. This card reminds me of summer.
Splashing Dolphin
I used spiraled paper to represent the waves, a dotted block of gray to represent the rock, and embossed "Life is Beautiful" on a sunshine yellow square.

Cards Remaining: 7

Dragon

A sinuous dragon with the Chinese characters for "Love," "Thanks," and "Happiness" embossed underneath it.
Dragon
I chose a very fragile Japanese paper to go underneath, but I realized it needed something else, and the only thing that seemed to work with it was a Medieval pattern. So my dragon has a bit of Western influence. The card is actually lime green and not the yellow my camera picked up.

Cards Remaining: 5

Hummingbird: Gold Crown

A brilliant green-jeweled hummingbird in a sunny circle embellished with gold crown decal and spots of glitter.
Hummingbird: Gold Crown
Originally, I was trying to use up these bright sparkly pink cards without making it nauseatingly girly. So I added the blue paper and gold decals. For some reason, I think the card had a bit of an Indian feel to it.

Cards Remaining: 3

Hummingbird: Green Vine

The blue-green humming bird hovers in a palace vine trellis, sipping the nectar of a single violet Morning Glory.
Hummingbird: Green Vine
This is my personal favorite of the hummingbird, as I like the different plays of greens and pinks. I used green decal, peach flower cutouts, and pops of glitter to suggest that the garden is just outside a jeweled palace.

Cards Remaining: 2

Other Hummingbirds Remaining: 3

Japanese Girl: Harvest Festival

A Japanese girl in a lavender kimono stands in the rice fields as the last dragonflies of autumn flit around her.
Japanese Girl: Harvest Festival
My friend gave me this beautiful crimson Japanese paper, and I just couldn't find a good opportunity to use it until now. I think of the girl as living in a tiny village, all dressed up to celebrate the annual rice harvest.

Cards Remaining: 3

Japanese Girl: Culture Day

A happy girl in a turquoise kimono stands in front of a wall of painted blocks while an embossed "Life is Beautiful" floats in the sky.
Japanese Girl: Culture Day
Originally, I wanted this to be my "spring" girl to contrast with my "fall" girl, but as I chose the patterns it began to seem more like she was the "city" girl to contrast with the "country" girl. Her school is decorated with her class paintings and she's all dressed up to show her parents.

Cards Remaining: 2

Japanese Woman: Night

A beauty paler than the jealous moon runs across the night with a glowing lantern in her hand. What ghostly apparition will she encounter?
Japanese Woman: Night
All my choices here were meant to give the impression of a Japanese scroll painting depicting some fantastic fairy tale or ghost story. The brown textured card reminded me of the scroll, the dark Japanese paper reminded me of night, the pop of glitter reminded me of stars. I intentionally kept it simple to go with the Japanese aesthetic.

Cards Remaining: 5

Japanese Woman: Day

A beautiful woman crosses into a cool bamboo forest in the heat of the day when something catches her eye. It's the flower of happiness.
Japanese Woman: Day
This was also meant to depict a fairy tale, this one taking place in the daytime, which is why her lantern isn't lit. I wanted it to have an abstract feel, so I used a plain gold circle to represent the sun, orange Japanese paper for sunlight, and strips of printed paper for the forest.

Cards Remaining: 4

Mountain Wolf

A lone red wolf stands outside its mountain home.
Mountain Wolf
This was my first time working with the wolf stamp. I hate coloring with just grays, so I decided to make it a red wolf. Then I googled a red wolf, so I'd know how to color it. I used crack peach paper and soft blue swirls to extend the ground and sky and braided some ribbon into a decal for texture. I thought it came out pretty good.

Cards Remaining: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment