Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Pubslush Campaign: How to Donate


On Wednesday, October 1st, I begin my Pubslush campaign to raise money (I hope) to self-publish my first novel, THE CHANGELINGS. This is a first for me in every sense of the word, but I hope to do my best and learn from the experience.

What is Pubslush?

Pubslush is an online website that helps writers raise money for their projects. It works by crowdfunding: many friends and strangers pledge small donations that add up. In exchange, I offer prizes as small tokens of my appreciation.

When you pledge, you don't actually pay until my campaign has reached its minimum goal of $500. If I don't reach $500, you don't pay at all--because I don't get any money. :( Nor do you get prizes. Instead, we just shrug our shoulders, sigh, and go on with our lives.
Coming January 2, 2015

Why do you need to fundraise?

I'm excited to be self-publishing my first novel, THE CHANGELINGS, which means I have more control over my work and get a higher percentage of royalties. Although technology has brought down the cost, it's still expensive. For example, did you know ISBNs (that little number/ barcode that identifies the book), cost either $125 for one or $300 for ten. It also cost money to register as your own press, pay for your own cover art and editing, and advertise the book. As a substitute teacher, money is tight, so I'm hoping fundraising will help offset some of the start-up costs to publishing.

What are the prizes and when do I get them?

For prizes I have signed bookmarks of THE CHANGELINGS ($5), a homemade hand-stamped card ($10), a Kindle version of my book ($25), set of 4 cards plus the Kindle version of the book ($50), and your name in the Acknowledgement Page of my book ($100). There may also be a bonus prize in the middle of the campaign--I'm still working it out.

Prizes!
If the campaign is successful, you should get the cards, bookmarks, and bonus prizes sometime in November. Anything related to THE CHANGELINGS will arrive early in January.

Can I still help if I'm broke?

Yes. You can get the word out to anyone interested or become a fan of the project simply by clicking the orange flag. I'll be grateful for any and all support!

How to Contribute

Step 1: Create An Account

Go to pubslush.com and either sign in through Facebook or use your email and create a password. It should only take a minute. (Sidenote: Some browsers work better than others. Mozilla Firefox works well for me.)

Step 2: Find My Campaign

You can click on this link: https://pubslush.com/project/3347and it should pop up.

If that fails, hit the "Discover" button at the top of the page. You will see a magnifying glass icon and a search button. You can type in either my name: "Rebecca Lang" or my title: "THE CHANGELINGS" and it should pop up at the bottom of the screen. Press on it and you can go on your merry way.

Step 3: Pledge Your Support

You have two options here.

Option #1: You can hit the "Support this Project" button. Another screen will pop up. You can then hit the reward you want, pledging the amount listed, or type in a different amount you would like to donate. Please note, if you do not click on the reward button, you will not get the reward!

Option #2: You can scroll down and click on the reward you want. You will automatically pledge that amount and be registered for that reward.

Step 4: Send Me a Note

This is optional, but I'd love to hear from you. 

Also, if there's a particular card you want (shown here), please let me know. Supplies are limited, but if you give me your top 3, I will do my best to accommodate you.

Step 5: Put in Credit Card Information

They'll ask you for name, card number, expiration, CVC, and billing zip code. Transactions are handled through a 3rd party and should be safe. You do have the option of canceling any time before the

Step 6: Tell Your Friends

Hopefully, together we can raise at least $500, so that I can keep the money and you can reap the rewards! :)

If you have any questions or run into any trouble, please email me at Reddragonfly1285@yahoo.com and let me know. I will do my best to answer them/ fix it.

No comments:

Post a Comment