Friday, September 12, 2014

Weekly Update: 9-12-14 Platform

An author platform, for the uninitiated, is basically your strategy to get your book to the audience, which happens to be the step I'm at now. While muddling through this business portion of writing, I came across an article called "Are You Building Your Writer Platform at Gunpoint?" by Kimberley Grabas. One of the lines caught my eye:

Authors are inundated with the "how-tos" of platform building (some advice better than others), but few are addressing a more immediate concern: how to encourage authors to actually WANT to build their platform. And dare I say, even enjoy building their future empires.

To someone who all but hyperventilates at the thought of selling my writing, the prospect of building a platform is about as appealing as a root canal. (And root canals aren't appealing. I should know; I've had three this year.) But I have to admit, there are a few perks to being a business woman. Like getting my cover. I felt so professional, directing what I wanted to see, getting the work back. This week, I've been working on bookmarks. It's a lot of trouble, but it's nice having something solid to hold onto.

Most of the week, however, I haven't been doing much. I'm not feeling well physically, dealing with backaches, stomach problems, sinus headaches, and heat exhaustion. So I've been resting, trying to take it easy. 

* * *

In other news, my friend Michelle Knowlden just wrote the fourth and final book of the Abishag mysteries. It's for sale on Amazon. In honor of it, I'm going to be writing reviews of Book 2, 3, and 4 this weekend, starting today. (I've already posted the review of the first book here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment