Friday, October 3, 2014

Weekly Update: 10-3-14

I got my first subbing job at Placentia-Yorba Linda School District today, at Valadez Middle School. Some students were noisy and I had to shush them and my voice became rough from reading about George Washington all day long and my sinuses drained into my throat and I had to stand for 15 minutes at the bus stop in the shadeless 100 degree sunshine, and the whole time I stood there, I just felt... really, profoundly grateful.

Because I was there for one day and by the end of it, students were saying hi to me like they'd known me all their life. Because I was able to put my whole heart into teaching, and I saw the students respond. Because I felt like, in some small way, I made the world a better place.

Yeah, I know that sounds corny and cliche, but it's true. Me trying really hard to help the students understand the Continental Congress isn't going to cure Ebola or anything. But it's not about that. It's not about building cathedrals, it's about putting a vase of flowers on the window sill. It will die and be forgotten, but in the one precious moment of now, the world is a little bit brighter.

* * *

My cell phone broke around Tuesday, but fortunately, it was under warrenty, and I got a replacement. I had my first two subbing jobs of the year, one in Valadez as I mentioned, and the other in Brea High, where I wholeheartedly tried to get the DVD player to work. I finished another chapter in my Coffin novel, started writing up my end of the year writing/ business schedule, and did some research on marketing for my writer's club. I also colored in 2 pretty fairies, 4 silly dragons, and a basket of gingerbread men. It's been a long week, but a good one.


it was hot and my allegies made my throat dry and I had to walk in the blazing heat t

me and the wole time I felt... really, profoundly grateful. It wa weird because I was there for like a day and by the end of it, students were saying hi
like I was their new friend. 

 and I taught som Japanese, and reviewed American history, and felt like, for a brief moment, I made a difference in their lives. I think, weirdly enough, one of the things I love about being a substitute is this idea that I can just shake it off, for this one day, I can do things whole-heartedly. It's a hard thing to think of.

Well, going to a new school, tackling something new is always kind of fun and sort of revitalizing, because it's a chance to make a new impression all over again. I love to teach, but

No comments:

Post a Comment