Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Two Maps and a Banner

Once Upon a Time, my sister got married. One of her friends from school, Michael Boyd, attended the wedding and, as per my custom, I talked his ear off about my work in progress and showed him some badly drawn maps I'd sketched. Michael took these rough sketches and turned them into a beautiful map, just for fun. I was astonished.
 
Fast-forward a couple of years, and I still remembered the map. I contacted him and asked to draw not one, but two maps for my world. He did these in less than a month and threw in an absolutely adorable Gryphon banner just for fun.
 
I'm so using this on the spine of my books!
 
 
I want to show you his maps, but first I want to give you an idea of what he had to work with.  I handed him my hand-drawn (because I can't use photoshop) scanned maps with about ten pages of notes attached. He turned them into works of art.
 
My Terrible Version of the Map of the North
 
 
Michael's Excellent Version of the Map of the North
 
 
My Terrible Version of the Map of the South
 
 
Michael's Excellent Version of the Map of the South

 
One of the things I really appreciate is the intricacy of details. I described some of my key cities to him and he actually took the time to put it on the map. If you squint at Brenton, for example, you can see a tiny church in the north, just like in my story.
 
Great work Michael!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment