Friday, July 25, 2014

Weekly Update: 7-25-14

Last Saturday, I went to Newport Beach to watch Shakespeare by the Sea's rendition of Hamlet. (Details soon to come.) This Saturday, I'll go to the Getty Villa in order to view an exhibition of Byzantine art. (Hey, this is making me sound all smart and cultured. Cool!) Between the two day trips, I did try to squeeze in writing, self-publishing work, and various chores. 

My biggest accomplishment by far was cleaning the kitchen--and I mean cleaning! My aunt and I went through the spice cabinets and refrigerator and threw out two trash bins of expired food and other nastiness. My second biggest accomplishment was finishing a very crucial chapter to my Coffin  stories. But even though I felt I did nothing but work the whole week, it didn't seem like much got done. Pieces, but not the whole.

So this was a typical day. Wake up at 8:00. Eat breakfast, play around on candy crush, start writing by 8:30-9:00-ish. Finish by 2:00-3:00. Spend the afternoon cleaning the kitchen and/ or shopping for household items. Make dinner from 5:00-6:00. Eat, do dishes. It's now 7:00. Relax until 7:30.  Spend from 8:00-11:00 researching publishing, blogging, or making cards. Rest an hour, go to bed. 

I severely underestimate how long it takes me to do everything, then I get mad at myself for not doing enough. But this week, I've resolved to get over that and stop demanding so much of myself. Healthy self-esteem, like my desire to clean, comes and goes in spurts. Life quickly wears down the sparkle and order all too soon becomes a mess.


No comments:

Post a Comment