Saturday, May 31, 2014

Weekly Update: 5-31-14 Cover

I have a cover for The Changelings.

Five covers to be exact.

Kaleo Welborn, a talented illustrator and a member of the Brea Library Writer's Group, was kind enough to sketch some "roughs," samples of the cover based on my descriptions. As I have no great sense of graphic art, it was a huge relief to brainstorm with someone who could take my ideas and sketch them into something solid.

Today I got them back.

It was so amazing, it was almost like a shock. The Changelings had been real to me as a story, but now I could suddenly see it as a book. Something I could put on Amazon and perhaps sell and have other people read. It filled me with excitement, but also with fear. This was really happening. I had to get my act together and become a book publisher. Oh God. Soon perfect strangers might be reading and judging my book.

It was quite a big step.

The whole month of May has been taking steps to go from merely being a writer to being an author/ publisher. I didn't expect it to happen. It wasn't in my spring schedule. In addition to cover art,I'm giving The Changelings one last edit for brevity and clarity and trying to get it to an editor. I've even set a rough date for publication: January 2015. Right in time for my dreaded 30th birthday.

I've made progress, but there's still more to come.

Oh, did you want to see the cover?

Don't worry. It will get its own post soon enough. 

But for now, I just want to sit and take in this moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment