Sunday, May 11, 2014

Weekly Update: 5-11-14

Happy Mother's Day!

My mom is the ultimate mother, the most nuturing and caring person I know. This Friday she swung by to take me to my cousin's graduation.  I bought her a bouquet of flowers and her favorite snacks at Trader Joe's. It was nice just seeing her and talking to her again.  She really is the glue that holds the family together.

That same Friday, I saw my cool cousin Alydaughter who is going straight to work on a summer job mission trip that will take her to Pennsylvania and Niagra Falls. I remember that time in my own life when schooling ends but you're not yet worried about rent and food and building a career.  That tantalizing moment of freedom! Right now I'm at a different stage in my life--the settling down stage.  It's depressing moving from young adulthood to middle adulthood, but thewre's good and bad at each stage. It just takes time to recognize it.

Writing wise, I've been on an editing blitz, re-reading The Changelings and slashing through it with a red (or blue or black or purple or green) pen. You'd think this would be depressing but actually I find it addicting.  Editing taps into the same obsessive part of my brain as watching YouTube or browsing TV Tropes.  Or possibly eating butterscotch cookies. You just can't stop! There is something oh-so-liberating in cutting out all the mistakes, all the imperfections, all the misphrasings. Real life is rarely so easy.  There's no delete button.  You spit your stuff out there and hope you create more good than bad. You do your best and then move on.

No comments:

Post a Comment