Friday, May 31, 2013

Weekly Update: 5-31-13

Last Saturday, I visited Huntington Library.

The name is misleading.  This "library" is more like three or four permanent museums plus a couple rotating galleries stitched together with half a dozen botanical gardens.  Both times I came obstensibly to write.  You know that old writer fantasy of sitting in a beautiful place, soaking up inspiration, and pouring forth the words.  That was supposed to be my Saturday.

It didn't quite work.  I was too busy flitting from flower to Greek sculpture to American art exhibition to Japanese garden to really focus on this little "writing" distraction.  Thus I began my last week of May with approximitely 1 hour of writing done, a messy draft still in shambles, and 25-odd pages to meticulously edit before Friday.  Ominous indeed.

Now, it's Friday.  Did I finish my draft of the last crucial chapter of my novel.  No, sadly, I did not.

I did, however, edit 17 of the 22 pages I whittled it down to, write an 8-page chapter of my coffin story, take 2 subbing jobs, and Beta read a novella for my friend.  How did I do all this?  I have no idea?  The best I can figure, all that anguish I suffered last week tearing apart my chapter somehow paid off.  Editing came more smoothly.  

Hopefully, I'll be able to finish my chapter over the weekend.  If not, a few days after.  Technically, it's still late, but only by a few days.  And I'll call that a victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment