Friday, August 22, 2014

Weekly Update: 8-22-14

Tonight I went to Brea Fest, our local summer festival, which featured stands of food, live music, and, most importantly of all, a big used book sale at the library. :) Wandering around in the warm August night brought me back to my time in Japan. It was just about thew time all the cities had their annual Hanabi Matsuri or firework festival.

All the young people would come out in droves, dressed up in yukatas (a type of light, cheap summer kimono). Heck, even I went out in a yukata in my little pack of gaijin (foriegners). We'd follow the crowd to rows of food stands, and I'd buy okonomiyaki (savory pancake), yakisoba (fried noodles), sticks of grilled meat, and melon-flavored shaved ice with condensed milk on top. I rememver the fireworks coming one at a time. BOOM (one, two, three), BOOM (one, two, three) BOOM--on and on for a half hour.

Good times.

Exciting news about The Changelings.

My illustrator, Kaleo Welborn, has told me that my cover is done, so I'll meet him on Saturday to pick it up. In addition, my editor Debra Young has just given me my corrections of the middle section and Michael Boyd,  one of my sister's high school friends, agreed to make a map for my book.

Networking. Who'd have thought I'd be able to pull it off.

No comments:

Post a Comment