Friday, June 28, 2013

Weekly Update: 6-28-13

This is my excuse for not writing: it's hot.  The heat languors and without air-conditioning, all I can do is plant myself underneath a painstakingly slow-moving fan, hoping for the mild wafts of relief.  My sinuses are blown, the house is a mess (we're cleaning out the garage), and I have yet to actually put together a work schedule.  How on earth am I supposed to get anything done?

Whine, whine, whine.

I can give all the excuses I want, but the truth is that life has been barreling at me full-speed ahead, and I'm doing everything in my power to slow it down.  To that end, I've been reading and reflecting. I've gone through several writers magazines and websites in search of advice, I've re-read and re-organized my 500-page rough draft of my second novel, and I've done pages of self-reflection on my future.  Even so, I don't feel like I've actually been productive. 

Thinking is hard.  Trying to take an honest look at your life is painful and deciding your future is scary.  It's so tempting to play Candy Crush or watch Chopped and not deal with these issues, to stay up late, sleep in, and let myself be lazy.  It's so hard to motivate myself when I'm hot and sweaty and I don't want to move.

I guess I'll have to keep at it.

On the bright side, I got to watch Monster's University today.  While I don't think it has the same heart and humor as the first one, the climax was pretty awesome.  When Mike and Sully had their big heart-to-heart moment, I was touched.  I would recommend it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment