Saturday, January 12, 2013

Weekly Update: 1/12/13

It was the first week back from winter break, and I honestly expected to get no work, as I figured teachers were rested and healthy.  Boy, was I wrong.  I had subbing jobs on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.  It was my busiest week thus far.  Now, don't get me wrong--I'm not complaining.  But this sudden influx of work did put a wrench in my plans for the week.

Anticipating an abundance of free time, I had devoted Monday and Tuesday to creating an enacting a plan of discipline for the week.  First, I'd spend 6:00-7:30 writing in my journal or my idea notebook. At 6:00-7:00, I'm staring at the website, waiting for a subbing job to pop up, so I can't use any other app on my ipad.  But pencil and paper work fine.  So after 7:30, when I know there's no job, I take a quick walk around the block to get my writing juices flowing.  Then, I write from 7:30-2:30--or the exact amount of time I'd spend substituiting.  I take another walk to end my session.

The beauty of it is that after 2:30, I do not have to write anymore.  I can spend my free time getting caught up with my correspondence, watching T.V., doing chores, whatever I want.  And I'm under no obligation to do any more writing.  Free time is my "bribe" for pushing through my writing.  And on Monday and Tuesday, it worked well.  I got a hard ten pages written and had time to watch a couple movies.  All went well.

Until I got a job.

Well, now what?  I still work 7:30-2:30, but now I have no time to write.  So, I have to go home and squeeze in a couple hours from 7:00-9:00 PM to do writing.  But that's still not enough, so now I have to spend Saturday and possibly Sunday writing, just to keep my (self-imposed) deadlines.

No plan is perfect, I guess.  We'll just have to see how it goes.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment