Tuesday, November 13, 2018

Captured in Color: How Flash Fiction Shaped My Writing


 A magical necklace that strangles whoever betrays its owner. A plum wine shared between a Japanese ghost and an American exchange student. A stalker who paints portraits of the love he can never see. Eight miniature science fiction and fantasy stories capture moments of love, loss, and choice that shape the characters and the world they live in. Perfect for those who want a daub of inspiration and a spatter of philosophy to brighten their day. 




Release Date: Monday, November 19, 2018


How I Wrote It


Six years ago, I moved to Brea, in order start the next stage of my life. Although I’d been writing for over eight years, I still didn’t feel very confident in myself. Was I any good? Would anyone want my writing? I’d never been published. Part of the problem was that I only wrote novels. Was I capable of writing short stories? Every time I tried, I seemed to get lost in a tangle of words.
 
Then I discovered something called flash fiction, fully formed stories that clocked in at under 1500 words or about 10 pages. Publishers seemed interested in this new form of writing, but could I do it? I sat down and tried it. To my astonishment, not only did I discover that I could write flash fiction, I even got them published. Two of my stories appeared in Ether, two in Daily Science Fiction.

Now I’m starting a different stage of my life, as a published novelist, moving soon to North Carolina. But before I began this new journey, I wanted to share with you the stories that helped give me the confidence to be a writer. These eight polished tales contain unique worlds, charming characters, and interesting ideas, while also capturing the moods and struggles I faced as a growing writer.

 

Who Should Buy It?


This book is good for anyone who may not have much time on their hands, but still enjoys fully-formed stories packed with twists and turns, pretty writing, and food for thought. Although there isn’t material unsuitable for kids, thematically these stories are geared more for high school students and adults.

 

Why Should You Buy It?


I wanted to sell Captured in Color at the cheapest price I could, so that as many people as possible can sample my writing and see if it's something they enjoy. This book makes for a good stocking stuffer or a holiday gift. One notable thing I added in the back of the book is a brief description of how I got the ideas for my stories. This can provide insight for new writers, who may be looking for ways to get inspired for their own stories.

 

How Can You Buy It?


Right now Captured in Color is on pre-order at Amazon Kindle for 99 cents. It will be available for purchase on Monday, November 19, 2018. The paperback version, which cost $6.00, will also be available at around that time. (It takes a little more time to look through and proof the book, so it’s harder to predict the exact date, but it should be available before December.)

 

Still Not Convinced? 


If you’d like to look at the stories, you can read three of them free on my website, here: http://www.rebeccalangstories.com/free-to-read.html

No comments:

Post a Comment