Saturday, November 16, 2013

Weekly Update: 11-16-13

Sixth grade, 2nd trimester marked the last time I ever got a B on a report card.  Actually, I got 2.  My GPA was a 3.8.  I cried.  At least part of my frustration was knowing that my academic rival, who like me had gotten a 4.0 on his first trimester report card, had beaten me by again scoring perfect grades.  Studying like crazy, I got a 4.0 on my next report card to his 3.7.  I was elated.  I'd won not only this semester, but the whole year.  This joy was private, however.  I never said a word to him.  For all he knew, we were never in a competition.

Sixteen years later, it's time for NaNoWriMo.  The goal is to get 50,000 words in one moth.  My good friend Michelle has gotten together a group of writers all dedicated to completing a novel in November and sends us daily emails with words of encouragement and everyone's word count.  So naturally, I have turned this kind and loving gesture into a competition.  It's not enough to write 50,000 words.  I have to write it first!  Especially since I narrowly "lost" last year.  Sure I posted 54,000 words and completed the task 4 days early, but someone got to 50,000 1 day before me and I can't let it happen again.

That's why reaching 34,000 words in 15 days (or 2/3s finished at the halfway mark) isn't good enough.  For who should be beating me, but the kind and encouraging Michelle (currently at 36,000 words)?  I won't have it!  (Waves fist at the sky and gnashes teeth in agony.)  I cannot lose 2 years in a row!  Victory shall be mine if I must type until my fingers bleed!!!

Ahem.

Did I mention I'm overdramatic, too?  So many lovely traits come out when you're feeling the pressure.

1 comment:

  1. This is one of my favorite books. Loved reading your thoughts on it.

    ReplyDelete