Saturday, July 6, 2013

Weekly Update: 7-6-13

I've been bitten by the lazy bug, infected by the lazy virus, and bed-ridden by the lazy flu.  No need to send me cards.  A swift kick in the pants ought to do it.

It's depressing to talk about how little I've accomplished.  So I won't.

I did discover that my local library was doing an adult summer reading program.  Sign up in Brea Library and get a free book, with chances to win other prizes!  I love summer reading programs.  It's not that I wouldn't read, but the opportunity to get free stuff just makes it that much sweeter.

I read The World Without Us by Alan Weisman, which is a speculative nonfiction about what would happen to Planet Earth if humans suddenly vanished.  It's actually a well put together story of the impact humans have had on the world.  The second book I read was The Survivor's Club by Ben Sherwood, which talks about people who have survived disasters and how they did it.

I've also been watching "Through the Wormhole" on T.V. (Science Channel), where host Morgan Freeman takes science fiction concepts like "Can our Brains be Hacked?" and "Will Sex Become Obsolete?" and shows how current science could tilt in those directions.  My uncle also dug up on YouTube an old series called "Connections: With James Burke" which talks about the zig-zagging pattern of trends and inventions that led to the modern world.  It's part science, part history and surprisingly addictive.

Now all this makes me sound smart, but it's still, in the end, procrastination.  I'm trying desperately not to think about stuff I need to do: short story writing, market research, driving practice, new banks, health care, etc.  It's too overwhelming.

I figured, if I'm going to procrastinate anyway, I might as well do something.

No comments:

Post a Comment